|Kiernan Manley (wingsofwyverns) wrote,|
@ 2019-04-25 21:35:00
Say I'm a goldbrick, a goof-off, no good, but that couldn't be all that I am
Six feet tall, muscled, and armed with a charming smile and twinkling blue eyes, Kiernan can be considered attractive, and he knows it. He keeps his very small wardrobe in one of the guildhalls where the cleaning lady washes his clothes and watches his belongings for him, all for free, and so Kiernan can usually be found in one of three outfits: his specialized dragoon armor if he's outside the city or just come back, or two separate, simple and dark sets of clothes. Still, the clothes he wears he didn't choose for practicality's sake; he wears what he wears because he looks good in it. That it's anything more than that is purely by chance or requirement.
I'M STARING OUT INTO THE NIGHT, TRYING TO HIDE THE PAIN
I'M GOING TO THE PLACE WHERE LOVE AND FEELING GOOD DON'T EVER COST A THING
Those who knew Kiernan in his youth might still recognize him as a carefree, friendly, flirty, and mischievous man with a cloud of smugness about him. However, they would also note that he is much kinder now than he was a child or a squire, and that he's a harder worker than he used to be, taking a "work hard, play hard" approach to his duties as a Dragon Rider and the time he has off. He didn't always used to be that way; he used to be a sort of a bully, and he used to blow off training for fun, but ever since the disappearance of one brother and the death of another, he has changed his ways, and he no longer tolerates anyone picking on somebody because they're weak or anyone who doesn't take dangerous situations, even as innocuous as training, seriously.
Underneath all that he lets the world see is what he'll never let the world know: the guilt over what happened to his younger brother and consequently, the family, eats at Kiernan, and if he doesn't distract himself with work or play he fears that it will consume him. Because of this, he doesn't like quiet, even when he's alone or with his wyvern, Lucy, a fact that she finds excruciatingly annoying when he talks incessantly or starts singing or all around making noise. It's less that Kiernan doesn't want people to worry about him and more that he doesn't like exposing any weaknesses or black marks to his past.
In battle, however, Kiernan can be ruthless; he does not hesitate to kill anyone who is trying to kill him, Lucy, or anyone he's with, or anyone who has killed an innocent or someone he's fond of. He's very protective and fears the death of Lucy, his father, or his friends and will stop at nothing to see to their safety if it is threatened, or he perceives it as so. This is rooted in the loss of his brothers; he doesn't want to lose anyone ever again if he has anything to say about it.
AND CAN I SAIL THROUGH THE CHANGING OCEAN TIDES
CAN I HANDLE THE SEASONS OF MY LIFE?
The Manley family lived in a farming community about a two day walking journey from Emillion. They were not farmers themselves, for Kiernan's father, Fergus, was a member of the renowned Dragon Riders, a point of awe for Kiernan, his brothers, and all their friends. Kiernan's mother, Camellia, taught at a schoolhouse for all the children in the community and was a kind and gentle yet stern teacher who saw to the needs of all of her students as best as she could. Her students adored her; her sons had an entirely different opinion altogether, for her stern nature showed more often at home as her two oldest sons were rowdy and unruly. Her youngest was always quieter and kept to the shadows and his books, a fact that got him teased both by his brothers and all the other children.
Kiernan was not the youngest but the middle of the three boys, and his best friend was his older brother Torin -- the two were inseparable. Elwen was the youngest, and these days Kiernan hates admitting that he had just about bullied his younger brother, especially what would come later in their lives.
Being only a year apart, Kiernan and Torin were in Emillion together as squires where they enjoyed each other's company and mischief. With the determination that they wanted to become Dragon Riders like their father someday, they focused primarily on that skill set and screw the rest, which caused their mentors headaches that did not get better with each lecture.
Three years later, Elwen joined them in Emillion but as a mage scholar instead of a Fighters Guild squire, which of course earned him more teasing from his brothers whenever they got together for a monthly father-and-sons lunch. Fergus did little to stop the boys from picking on Elwen, and Elwen grew quieter and quieter as a result. Otherwise, Kiernan and Torin almost never spoke to Elwen, another thing that Kiernan regrets in his life.
Torin was only two months into becoming a dragoon when he was killed in a training accident; he took a harpoon in the chest when neither he nor the boy holding the weapon were paying enough attention, having chosen to horse around instead. Kiernan was devastated, and it took months to get back on his feet. In the meantime, unbeknownst to Kiernan, Elwen had fallen in with some shady and suspicious folk despite Fergus' warnings. When Fergus informed Kiernan of Elwen's involvement with possible criminal folk in hopes that he could try to bring Elwen back, Kiernan took himself out of his mourning period to reconcile with his younger brother. He did not want to lose him, too.
Elwen would have none of that and promptly burned the bridge with Kiernan and their parents. It was then with a heavy heart that Kiernan began dragoon training, this time for a two-fold purpose: his own lifelong dream of being one, and Torin's. He was more dedicated to his training than he ever was in his squire years, all the while continuing to reach out to Elwen, who ignored all of his letters and calls. Then, when Kiernan turned twenty, Elwen disappeared without a word or a trace.
The family was in a fret. Neither the mages nor the EKP had any answers to provide them. Nobody had seen anyone matching Elwen's description leave the city, there were no bodies within Emillion either unidentified or similar to Elwen's, and not a single rumor existed as to the whereabouts of Kiernan's younger brother. As months turned into years, Kiernan and his parents agreed that Elwen must be dead, his body perhaps incinerated, and they tried to move on as best as they could but neither of them with any success. Camellia passed away, Fergus quit the Dragon Riders, and Kiernan cut himself off from the world to keep at his dragoon training more as a source of distraction. He was just surviving through life, always wondering how things could have been if he had just treated Elwen better. Kiernan eventually joined the Valendian Rangers at the age of twenty-five in the vain hope that he might find Elwen out there somewhere, but no luck, and he eventually gave up and simply coasted through his duties.
An old friend of Fergus' from the Dragon Riders noticed Kiernan's aimlessness and attempted to revive the man's spirits. First, with drink, then with laughter, then with scores of friends and then by introducing him to his daughter, a beautiful and charming woman. It was enough, and with her support Kiernan reclaimed his dreams of becoming a Dragon Rider and found a new fervor for life. The relationship didn't last, but they parted on amiable terms, and a couple of years later, with the good word of both Fergus and his friend, Kiernan was finally considered for membership among the Dragon Riders.
Kiernan's first encounter with a wyvern was not what he expected; he always thought that a dragon picked its rider, and to some extent, it's true, but Kiernan always thought it was an instantaneous thing. Not so. The dragon that called to Kiernan was a feisty young female who regarded Kiernan minimally at best. Being reassured that it often takes time for a bond to form, Kiernan didn't give up, despite the many times he nearly got roasted.
A reluctant bond eventually formed between them, though it took a few swats at the amulet the Riders had given Kiernan to cement the bond before the wyvern finally accepted. With that, Kiernan decided that the dragon's name was Lucy. She didn't blow fire at him for it, and so the name stuck, and he became a full-fledged member of the Dragon Riders at the age of thirty-four; older than most recruits, but he got along well enough with many of his new comrades-at-arms. Over time, he and Lucy became more like family, both being equally protective of the other, though Kiernan can be seen bickering with her from time to time. It's very one-sided, and he normally loses, as Lucy either ignores him or ends the altercation by blowing fire or ice or wind near him.
Kiernan spends his days with Lucy performing Dragon Riders duties or helping train young squires and dragoons when the guild asks, and in the evenings, he looks for friends, drink, and possibly female companionship. He has no apartment in the city, choosing to bunk with Lucy outside the city walls -- though if the night is too cold or wet she'll swoop down, snort at him, and then fly off again -- or wooing himself into a woman's bed, mostly because he spends most of his money on his father's care, who is dying from a terminal illness. He visits his father once every couple of weeks.
Click here for timeline with dates
FULL NAME: Kiernan Manley
DATE OF BIRTH: Sagittarius 12 (12/4/1974)
MARITAL STATUS: Single
OCCUPATION: Dragon Rider (former Valendian Ranger)
JOB CLASS: Squire -> Dragoon (age: 18)
PARENTS: Fergus (†) & Camellia (†)
SIBLINGS: Torin (†) & Elwen (missing)
• Being focused on dragoon training and only dragoon training for so long, Kiernan has no real talents outside of that skill set.
• Fights dirty; he's not the type to let his opponent pick up their weapon, and in brawls, he'll be the one grabbing the nearest chair
• Ruthless; if you give him cause to kill you, he'll do it, without hesitation.
• Enjoys getting into a bit of mischief. He won't do anything that would get him into too much trouble with the Dragon Riders or the FG, but he won't shy away from toying the line, either, as long as that line isn't one of bullying.
• When Kiernan sets his mind on something, his blinders are up and they're not coming off until he's accomplished his goals. This is both at work and during leisure. Therefore, things often fall by the wayside.
• Excellent dragoon
• Friendly and always ready for a good laugh and a fun time
• Protective of those he cares about, or the innocent, but he also knows when to trust them to take care of themselves
• Great survival skills from his years as a Ranger and now as a Rider
• Jump: Deal damage to all foes in range.
• Double Jump: Twice the damage of Jump
• Dragonmend: Restore HP and remove debuffs from all allies in range.
• Gallantry: Passive - Increases group's Stamina and Mind when leader's HP is low.
• Dragon Breaker: Lowers accuracy, evasion, magic accuracy, magic evasion, and TP gain for dragon enemies.
• Ancient Circle: Grant all nearby allies protection versus dragons for a period of 30 seconds
• His relationship with Lucy is like a cat's relationship with its human; Kiernan doesn't own Lucy, Lucy owns Kiernan. She'll still come when he calls, though after she'll show her displeasure unless there's food involved.
• He always keeps his amulet around his neck, never removing it for anything. It's his link to Lucy and losing it would devastate him.
• Kiernan is a very tactile person, always touching things and getting physical whenever he can get away with, and whenever he can't.
• On the anniversary of Torin's death, Kiernan takes vigil in the guildhall where he was killed. On the anniversary of Elwen's disappearance, Kiernan makes a visit to the mages tower (he actively avoids it otherwise) and then wanders about either on foot in the city or on Lucy around the city as though he's still trying to look for him.
• Extremely uncomfortable around harpoons, almost to the point of outright fear.
• He likes girly drinks; the fruitier the better. You hush now.
• Dragon Riders adventures!
• The mystery of what happened to Elwen comes to light
• Someone who reminds him of Elwen who he can try to befriend and protect as a point of redemption.
• Mostly, Kiernan coming to terms with what happened to Elwen and his role in it, for better or for worse
• Flirting with the ladies, being bros with the guys
• People he used to work with at the Rangers
• Squires and trainees he can caution to be mindful of their tasks
Are you comfortable with the possibility of this character being killed? Sure!